What is ‘Ankylosing Spondylitis’ or AS disease? What are the impacts on lives of the suffering patients? It was the leading cause that Novartis held a Press Conference at Avari Towers, Karachi. The press conference was conducted with the association of Pakistan Society of Rheumatology & Arthritis Care Foundation. Furthermore, famous doctors appeared in the event shedding light on necessary information to the general public to form precautionary actions.
In the doctors there were present Saliha Ishaq, Aga Khan University Hospital; Mehfooz Alam, Senior Most rheumatologist, Executive board member PSR; Shafaq Abbass, the Executive board of Arthritis Care Foundation; Tahira Parveen, Head of the department, Liaquat National Hospital; Shehla Naseem, Chief Scientific Officer Novartis Pakistan.
Identify Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis or AS is a system of arthritis that primarily affects the spine.
- It can find the backbone to fuse in a fixed, immobile position, occasionally, creating a forward-stooped posture.
- It is common in the midst of the young population
- Typically, 20 to 40 year age is affected, against the view that arthritis befall in senility
- The existence of the disease is assessed around 0.5-1% of the population
- In spite of being a prevalent disease, it takes 8-10 years for the onset of the symptoms to be diagnosed in patients
- If the diagnosis is postponed; then it can bring about irreversible damage to the spine; thereby restricting mobility on permanent grounds; known as “Bamboo Spine.”
- It can move to other areas of the body together with lungs, bowel, and eyes.
- IBS, heart problems, Uveitis, osteoporosis, spinal fractures; besides, psoriasis are associated with issues of the disease.
- Hip joint damage shortens the span of life and leads to early death.
Symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Typically, the assistance to acknowledge the disease is thru a dull back pain regularly more than three months.
- The pain goes worst with rest
- The pain improves with exercise
- Morning stiffness
- Swollen joints
- Pain in buttocks shifting from one side to another
What to Assist In Ankylosing Spondylitis
X-rays do not benefit via early diagnosis; as inflammation is not visible on X-ray; until bone damage starts. Furthermore, MRI and ultrasound are standard confirmatory tests; carried out by rheumatologists performing the treatment. In addition, exercise is the only central thing that helps in AS. Whereas, painkilling medicines; will reduce pain, improve sleep and grow knowledge of well-being. The modern method is beneficial than conventional therapy.