How to Get Rid of Swelling in Hands and Feet in Winter
In winter many people face the different type of skin or health issues due to the hardness of atmosphere. Similarly, a number of people suffer swelling of hands and feet in this season results in dryness in skin and term for swollen feet is chilblains. This problem may have different causes; it mostly caused due to bare hands or feet during cold temperature. Not everybody goes through this type of swelling because human blood factor directly involves in it. Before knowing methods to get rid of swelling in hands and feet, you have to understand its causes and symptoms.
Effective Methods To Get Rid of Swelling in Hands and Feet in Cold Weather
Reasons and Symptoms of Chilblains
There may be various causes of swelling in hands and feet, and here we will share you some major causes of this disease. As discussed above, the blood of any person may be the cause of this problem. Some people have warm blood due to which they go in the cold, due to the difference in body and external temperature, hands and feet start swelling. Moreover, many doctors don’t name it a disease, but they called it a condition. In addition, the other cause of this disorder is the sudden warming of these body parts after continued exposure to the cold climate. It happens because of rapid change in temperature due to which blood vessels expand quickly. Furthermore, the rapid expansion of blood vessels is responsible for the blood leakage due to which blood flow to nearby tissues. So, one has to get rid of swelling in hands and feet.
After this blood leakage, one can face its manifestations in different forms. A victim may suffer burning sensation, redness, itching, swelling and pain in the affected area. Sometimes, due to these issues the issue become severe and the area got infection and ulceration. The main affected areas of body parts from chilblains are hands, feet, fingers, toes, nose, earlobes and ears. The issue is not an age-restricted, one may be affected by it at any age, while it is most common for children and youngsters.
Methods to Get Rid of Swelling in Hands and Feet
There are various treatments used to get rid of swelling in hands and feet, and in some cases, it becomes okay within few days. First of all, you have to improve the circulation of blood of the affected area by rubbing that body part softly.
Following are few methods to get rid of swelling in hands and feet.
1: Uplift the Swollen Hands and Feet
First of all, you have to raise the affected areas suffering from chilblains which are the very first step of treatment. The primary purpose of doing this is to increase the level of hands and feet from the heart for easy releasing of trapped fluid. This releasing of fluid will help to decrease redness, pain, and swelling.
As we discussed above that rapid warming of hands and feet after long interaction with cold and also bad circulation blood is another cause. Therefore, elevating hands and feet is one of best remedy to get rid of swelling in hands and feet in winter.
- You to elevate hands and feet about five times a day.
- One can uplift his/her hands and feet by placing a pillow behind them.
- Stay in this condition for almost 1 hour after that get relaxation of 30 minutes.
2: Using Oil Massage
You can also get rid of swelling in hands and feet by using the method of oil massage. Oil massage is the best way for reducing swelling and redness because it warms up the blood vessels. Due to this warmness, the circulation of blood got improvement results reducing swelling.
- Mustard Oil (two tablespoons)
- Black peppercorns (one teaspoon)
- Mix one teaspoon of black peppercorns in two tablespoons of mustard oil.
- Put the mixture in the microwave for about one minute.
- Now, by taking this warm oil, you have to massage swollen hands and feet.
- Continue this treatment for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process two times in a day, in the morning and before going to sleep.
- You can use coconut oil in case of unavailability of black peppercorns.
3: Soaking of Hands and Feet in Warm Water
You can also get rid of swelling in hands and feet by soaking them in warm water. It is the most effective treatment for relaxing the tense muscles and releasing of trapped fluid to reduce inflammation.
There are various compounds in which you can soak your hands and feet for reducing swelling, pain, and redness.
a) Soaking in Epsom Salt
b) Feet Dipping in Ginger
a. Soaking in Epsom Salt
As we know, magnesium sulfate is present in Epsom salt which is highly absorbable in the skin, and it reduces swelling. Furthermore, it is helpful to reduce pain, puffiness, and redness of swollen hands & feet. Whereas, this treatment is most effective as it relaxes the tense muscles.
- Take a tub and fill it with warm water.
- Put a half cup of Epsom salt in it.
- Dissolve this salt in water by mixing it properly.
- Soak the swollen hands & feet in this mixture for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, dry your soaked body parts with a soft towel.
- Your skin becomes fair also after this treatment.
- In a day, repeat this process at least two times to get the fast remedy.
b. Feet soaking in Ginger
For regulating the blood flow in the vessels, ginger is also beneficial because it is a natural diuretic. In addition, it is a rich source for reducing the swollen and redness due to inflammation.
- Ginger (five pieces), diced and peeled
- Peppermint oil (10 to 12 drops)
- Fill the water tub with warm water.
- Put 4 to 5 chunks of ginger (peeled & diced pieces).
- Mix 10 to 12 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Soak affected hands & feet in this water for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure twice a day to get rid of swelling in hands and feet rapidly.
4: Get Rid of Swelling in Hands and Feet with Hydrotherapy
Hydrotherapy is another effective method to get rid of swelling in hands and feet. Furthermore, this process takes in a couple of conditions of water.
i) Cold water
ii) Warm water
This method is going to be your favorite method to reduce swelling from hands and feet in winter. Undoubtedly, the swelling goes painfully as well as come to be a cause of irritation. Warm water can promote blood circulation, in addition, the primary cause of this issue is a low blood circulation. Moreover, Cold water is the best thing to makes less rate of swelling and inflammation.
- Take two water tubs
- Add warm water in one tub and cold in the other
- Put your feet into warm water
- Let it stay inside water for 3 minutes
- Immediately, shift your feet from warm to cold water tub
- Wait for one minute
- Replacement is to do it nonstop for 15 minutes
- Repeat this process twice in a day
- Do it as much as you need for weeks or months
6. Get Rid of Swelling in Hands and Feet with Socks
Here is a most straightforward method to achieve your goal more efficiently. You need to wear socks when there is a time of coldness. In order to make less exposure of coldness socks will help you a lot. For further assistance, use compression socks exactly aimed at to lessen swelling and discomfort in the hands and feet in winter. Compression socks have an ability to cover tightly the area that is caught in the swelling badly. In like manner, it will reduce pain as well as discomfort in winter.
- Grasp the socks
- Put socks on your feet
- You need to repeat this process till getting relief from swelling
6. Get Rid of Swelling in Hands and Feet with Essential Oils
Essential oils are good in each and every sense for your skin. Besides, it will prevent swelling of hands and feet in winter. Essential oils have inside healing properties as well as anti-inflammatory elements, to feel you relief from pain and swelling in hands and feet. Furthermore, it provides a feeling of heat in your feet that is very helpful to get rid of swelling in hands and feet.
- Olive Oil (1 tablespoon)
- Tea Tree Essential oil ( 5 drops)
- Lavender Essential Oil (5 drops)
- Take one bowl and pour olive oil into it
- Heat oil in a microwave
- Add four or five drops of each tea tree oil and lavender essential oils into it
- Blend all oils well
- Rub this mixture on your swollen hands and feet
- Massage it for 5 minutes
- Leave it on overnight
- You need to absorb all of the oil into skin
- Do it on a daily basis, as a result, you will get rid of swelling in hands and feet
- Keep your all of the body warm in the whole winter time
- Avoid too much coldness exposure
- You need to put on several layers of cloths rather than a bulky layer
- Wear socks every time to keep warmness in addition to blood circulation
- Wear the shoes that go comfortably for feet
- Do not scratch the area that has been affected due to winter season, as a result; skin will be damaged
- Intake hot drinks to for a lot of times a day to keep internal system warm
- Do exercises in the day to keep your body warm; you can do walk or jogging to make yourself fit and fine in each and every sense.